By Muriel Bristol (Transcriber) | May 21, 2018
A description of Milton as it appeared in an 1859 gazetteer:
MILTON, in the southeastern [SIC] part of Strafford County, is an irregularly-shaped town, containing 27,000 acres, and is forty miles from Concord. It formerly belonged to Rochester, from which it was set off and incorporated June 11, 1802. The settlers came principally from Dover, Madbury, Rochester, and towns in that vicinity, and were a hardy, industrious, and intelligent people, early manifesting an interest in religion and education. The Congregational church was organized September 8, 1815, under the labors of Rev. Curtis Coe, who continued to preach as long as he was able; but prior to his settlement they had occasional preaching. With the exception of Teneriffe Mountain, which runs along the east part, the surface is comparatively level, and the soil good for pasturage. This is an agricultural community, and stock is raised to some extent. Salmon Falls river runs along the whole eastern boundary, thirteen miles, while a branch of the same river crosses from the south part of Wakefield, uniting near the centre of the eastern boundary. Milton pond and Gould pond are the only bodies of water. There are three villages – Milton Three Ponds, South Milton, Goodwinville, and Milton Mills; two church edifices – Congregational and Christian; twelve school districts, and three post-offices – Milton, Milton Mills, and West Milton. The Milton Mills, with a capital of $50,000, have eighteen looms and 1,200 spindles, and manufacture woolen and cotton goods to the amount of $90,000. The boot and shoe industry is also prosecuted to a considerable extent, there being $480,000 invested. The Great Falls and Conway Railroad passes through Milton. Population, 1,629; valuation, $494,066.
Previous in sequence: Milton in 1857
Coolidge, Austin J., and Mansfield, John B. (1859, April). A History and Description of New England, General and Local. Boston, MA: Austin J. Coolidge