By Muriel Bristol (Transcriber) | February 2, 2019
MILTON, in Strafford county, was formerly a part of Rochester, and is bounded by N.W. by Middleton, E. by Salmon falls river, which divides it from Shapley (in Maine,) and S.W. by Farmington. Its area is 25,000 acres, and its number of inhabitants 1005. It extends more than 13 miles on Salmon falls river. Branch river crosses the S.W. extremity of the town. Teneriffe mountain lies on its easterly side, near which is Milton pond. The southerly extremity of Milton is 9 miles and 82 rods distant from Wakefield. There are here 3 religious societies, 1 meeting-house, 3 grain-mills, 3 saw-mills, 1 clothing-mill and 3 trading stores.
In a table of comparative statistics, Milton was said to have had 184 polls in 1812; a tax rate of <blank> in 1775; a tax rate of $4.34 per $1,000 in 1812; 122 horses over 4 years old; 250 oxen; 367 cows; 440 cattle between 2 and 4 years old; 18 acres of orchard; and <blank> sheep.
Milton participated in Rochester’s 1775 tax rate of £9 11s 0d per £1000, which would work out to $9.55 per $1,000. Its own 1812 rate was less than half that exacted when a British colony.
Milton’s current tax rate of $25.48 per thousand is 267% of the colonial tax rate of 1775, and 587% of its own 1812 rate.
Next in sequence: Milton in 1823
Merrill, Eliphalet, and Merrill, Phineas. (1817). Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire. Retrieved from books.google.com/books?id=F38UAAAAYAAJ&pg=162