Milton in the News – 1942

By Muriel Bristol (Transcriber) | December 19, 2019

In this year, we encounter a fire at the Milton Grammar School, the youngest grange master, a job application, the death of a former minister, a blackout vote in Lebanon, ME, a missing Milton girl, cottages for rent and for sale, a delayed death, help wanted at the Milton Hotel, homegrown coffee, a Nute High teacher, and the Nute High headmaster.

In this year the initial Axis run of successes stalled. General Doolittle bombed Tokyo (April). The Allies fought the Japanese empire to a draw at the Battle of the Coral Sea (May), the Japanese lost four carriers at the Battle of Midway (June), and the U.S. invaded Guadalcanal (August). After early successes in southern Russia, a major part of a National Socialist (Nazi) German army group was encircled at Stalingrad (November) (and would be utterly destroyed early in the following year). The Allies occupied French Morocco and Madagascar.

Save This Newspaper. Uncle Sam needs waste paper – including this newspaper – to make boxes for defense. Call your dealer or the Salvation Army when you have accumulated 100 pounds or more (Portsmouth Herald, January 7, 1942).

The Milton Grammar school building took fire in the early hours of Tuesday, January 6, 1942.

Late Blaze Causes Costly Damage to Milton School. Damage amounting to several thousand dollars resulted early Tuesday morning from a fire at the grammar school in nearby Milton. A young man named Cleveland, returning to his home from work at the navy yard in Portsmouth discovered the blaze and sounded the fire alarm just at 1 o’clock. Sleepy-eyed residents of the town rushed to the streets thinking it was a blackout. When they discovered the lights did not go out, they realized it was a fire and not an air raid. Chief Charles Wilson said that the blaze started in a supply room in the basement where a quantity of paper towels and janitor’s supplies were stored, and spread to the airshaft and third floor. When Milton firemen arrived there was fire on all three floors the chief stated and it had broken out in the two rooms on the north side of the building. Two lines of hose were hooked onto a hydrant near the school and the blaze was under control in about a half hour despite the fact that the firemen were handicapped by zero weather. There was no damage on the south side of the building which is of brick construction with a wooden roof and contains eight rooms and an office. Chief Wilson said last night it was expected that repairs would be made this week so that it would possible to use the building for school purposes next week. Most of the damage was caused by water, although there was damage to the air shaft and one ceiling will have to be replaced (Portsmouth Herald, [Wednesday,] January 7, 1942).

Miss Elsie M. Bigelow succeeded her mother, Rev. Marian S. (Turner) Bigelow, as Nute Ridge Grange master. Her parents were joint pastors of the Nute Ridge Chapel.

Youngest Grange Head. WEST MILTON, N.H., Jan. 10 (AP) – The Nute Ridge Grange claims to have the youngest grange master in the nation. She is Elsie May Bigelow, 17, installed last night. A high school senior, she succeeded her mother, the Rev. Marian Bigelow (Fitchburg Sentinel, January 10, 1942).

E. Lincoln Bigelow, aged fifty-two years (b. MA), headed a Milton household at the time of the Sixteenth (1940) Federal Census. His household included his wife, Marian Bigelow, aged forty-one years (b. MA), and his children, John Bigelow, aged twenty years (b. VT), William Bigelow, aged eighteen years (b. VT), Florence Bigelow, aged sixteen years (b. VT), Elsie Bigelow, aged fifteen years (b. VT), and Gerald Bigelow, aged twelve years (b. ME). E. Lincoln Bigelow rented their house on Nute Ridge, which was valued at $1,000.

The Portsmouth Herald put forward the example of a Milton man’s rapid response to a help wanted ad to demonstrate the efficacy and reach of its advertising.

It Pays – In yesterday afternoon’s Portsmouth Herald was a story that the Board of Street Commissioners were meeting last night to decide on an engineer for the new water project. Within two hours after the delivery of the edition had been completed, the Board of Street Commissioners received a telegram from Engineer Harold M. Bryant of Milton, N.H., applying for the job. “The Portsmouth Herald certainly gets around,” observed Clerk Americo J. Fransoso of the board (Portsmouth Herald, January 24, 1942).

Rev. Scott Foster Cooley died in Hinesburg, VT. Other sources identify him as having been a Milton Methodist minister in 1912-1913.

Obituary. Rev. Scott F. Cooley. Special to the Free Press. HINESBURG, Jan. 28. Rev. Scott F. Cooley, 53 years of age, died at his home in this village late this evening. He was born in Landaff, N.H., a son of Hiram K. and Julia (Foster) Cooley. In his immediate family Rev. Mr. Cooley is survived by his widow, Mrs. Amelia (Allen) Cooley; one daughter, Mrs. Evelyn Ryan of Burlington; one brother, Earl D. Cooley of Peacham and by four nephews and two nieces. Rev. Mr. Cooley was a graduate of Lisbon high school in 1901, was graduated from Montpelier seminary in 1904, and from Drew Theological seminary at Madrum, N.J. He served in several parishes in the Vermont conference and the Troy conference since 1920. He retired from active work last April. Funeral arrangements are not as yet completed. H.P. Brown Funeral Services of Richmond in charge (Burlington Free Press, January 29, 1942).

Scott S. Cooley, a Methodist minister, aged fifty-six years (b. NH), headed a Hinesburg, VT, household at the time of the Sixteenth (1940) Federal Census. His household included his wife, Amelia Cooley, aged fifty-three years (b. VT), and his foster child, William Cooley, aged fourteen years (b. VT). Scott S. Cooley owned their house, which was valued at $4,000.

The Budget Committee of Lebanon, ME, sought to blackout the entire town for the duration of the war. (See also the NH state-level requirements at the close of 1941).

Permanent Blackout for Lebanon? Will the entire town of Lebanon, Me., which stretches from the Rochester bridge to the Sanford, Me., line and up to North Rochester and Milton, N.H., be permanently blacked out at night for the duration of the war? Article 28 in the warrant for the meeting reads as follows: “To see if the town will vote to discontinue all street and road electric lights for the duration of the war.” Underneath the article the budget committee recommends “Yes.” Article 29 is to see what sum of money, if any, the town will raise for street and electric lights in the town and the recommendation of the budget committee is “None.” Proponents of the “all out” measure argue that with no street lights burning at night town will always be ready for a blackout and at the same time will be saving money. Those who oppose the putting out of the lights contend that it will be an unwise economy and could easily result in accidents, holdups, and similar incidents. Lights can be out quickly enough in the event an alert. Stygian blackness is also bad for the morale of the townspeople they contend. The town warrant also contains two civilian defense measures, one being a proposal to raise money for digging and cleaning out water holes to supply water for use in house fires or grass and wood fires. The other asks for money to purchase additional fire fighting equipment for the fire company and fire wardens. Both articles have been acted upon favorably by the town budget committee. Lebanon is without ample protection and if a bad fire occurs it is necessary to call for help from either East Rochester or Sanford, Me. (Portsmouth Herald, March 10, 1942).

Three Nute High girls were sent home for skipping classes and they went instead to Boston, MA. Two of them returned home, but the third stayed away for three months.

Boston Police Asked to Find Girl Missing From Milton, N.H. MILTON, N.H., May 7. Police of this town asked aid of Boston authorities tonight in locating a 16-year-old girl, Lena Anderson, missing from her home two days and last reported in the Massachusetts city. Two companions of the girl, Pauline Dupuis, 15, and Charlotte Weare, 16, returned today and said Miss Anderson had remained in Boston (Boston Globe, May 8, 1942).

Wilfred L. Dupuis, a fibreboard mill machine tender, aged thirty-five years (b. NH), headed a Milton household at the time of the Sixteenth (1940) Federal Census. His household included his wife, Gertrude T. Dupuis, aged thirty-five years (b. NH), and his children, Pauline J. Dupuis, aged thirteen years (b. NH), Lorette B. Dupuis, aged twelve years (b. NH), Robert R. Dupuis, aged eleven years (b. NH), Louise T. Dupuis, aged nine years (b. NH), Roland J. Dupuis, aged seven years (b. NH), Norman B. Dupuis, aged five years (b. NH), and Franklin R. Dupuis, aged three years (b. NH). William L. Dupuis rented their house on the Old Road (near Spaulding Ave.), for $9 per month.

Charles E. Weare, a fibreboard mill machinist, aged fifty-one years (b. ME), headed a Milton household at the time of the Sixteenth (1940) Federal Census. His household included his wife, Bertha M. Weare, a fibreboard mill counts clerk, aged fifty years, and his children, Donald E. Weare, a fibreboard mill scaler, aged nineteen years, Charlotte Weare, aged fourteen years, and Ruth E. Weare, aged ten years. Charles E. Weare rented their house on Spaulding Ave., for $10 per month.

Rochester. Missing Milton Girl For Whom Search Made Here, Found. (Correspondent: Basil Blake; 806-J). Lena Anderson, 16, missing since May 5, has been located in Providence, R.I., where she has been working in a defense plant. Search was made for her with two other girls here and in Portsmouth at the time of their disappearance. The Milton girl, for whom a New England-wide search had been instituted, will return home Sunday, according to Patrolman John P. Kimball of the Milton police, who was in charge of the search and who has been working on the case since May.

Leslie W. Anderson, a wood heeler, aged forty-four years (b. MA), headed a Milton household at the time of the Sixteenth (1940) Federal Census. His household included his wife, Hazel M. Anderson, aged forty-two years (b. NH), and his children, Elaine A. Anderson, aged sixteen years (b. NH), and Lena E. Anderson, aged fifteen years (b. NH). Leslie W. Anderson owned their house on Nute Ridge, which was valued at $1,200.

Claim Skipped Classes. On the afternoon of May 5, Lena and two companions, Charlotte Weare, 16, and Pauline Dupuis, 15, were allegedly sent home from the Nute High school and told to tell their parents that they had skipped classes in the morning. Instead they all hitch-hiked to Rochester, according to the other two girls who returned home a few days after their disappearance. Instead of going home the girls went to the Boston and Maine station in Milton and from the funds of the three which had been pooled, bought tickets for Rochester. They were seen in Rochester that night and then hitch-hiked to Boston. Patrolman Kimball and Patrolman Pierce Butler of Milton went to Boston after two of the girls returned home voluntarily and said they left the Anderson girl in Boston. They told how the three girls and three sailors met outside at Boston theater and the Anderson girl, learning the others were going home, said she was going to remain as she was afraid to return. Since then she had not been heard from until yesterday (Portsmouth Herald, August 8, 1942).

Here are offered for rent vacation cottages on Northeast Pond, and for sale a five-room camp in a pine grove of Tri-Echo Lake.

REAL ESTATE FOR RENT. Shore, Mountain, Lake, Country 112. WRITE OR SEE Stevens’ Cottages, Northeast Pond, Milton, N.H., $15-$25 (Boston Globe, June 24, 1942).

REAL ESTATE MARKET. SUMMER CAMP. WAKEFIELD, N.H. For Sale: Camp, 5 rooms, porch, bath, fireplace, furniture. garage, sandy beach, in pine grove of Tri Echo Lake at Milton, N.H.; price $1500. For further information on camps, farms, or shore lots in vicinity, write PALMER of Wakefield, N.H. (Boston Globe, September 4, 1942).

Rev. Leland L. Maxfield conducted funeral services for Mrs. Alberta G. (Shorey) Large. Mrs. Elizabeth (Bronson) Maxfield had been driving the Red Cross automobile in which she and Mrs. Large had been injured in July 1939.

Victim Of Train Collision Dies. Rev. Leland L. Maxfield, pastor of the Community church at Milton, conducted funeral services yesterday afternoon at the Edgerly Home for Mrs. Alberta S. Large, 64, of Lebanon, Me., who died Monday. Mrs. Large, who was the wife of Henry Large, had been ill for some time as the result of an accident at the crossing in Milton when the machine in which she was riding was struck by a train. She was a native of Rochester and was the daughter of the late Stephen F. and Catherine (Lynch) Shorey. Burial was in the family lot in Rochester cemetery (Portsmouth Herald, [Thursday,] July 30, 1942).

Milton Hotel Adv - 1942 - FN420605Mrs. Anna Shaw sought a woman to work in her Milton Hotel. She advertised her hotel, which was situated on Route 16, between at least the years 1942-45.

HELP WANTED. Woman for general hotel work, one with some knowledge of cooking. Preferably someone to live at hotel. Inquire of Mrs. Anna Shaw, Milton Hotel, Milton, N.H. (Farmington News, September 4, 1942).

Wilfred J. Poisson sought to augment his coffee ration by growing his own beans.

ODD ITEMS from EVERYWHERE. In Milton, N.H., Wilfred J. Poisson has just harvested his first crop of coffee beans. The yield was small this year, but the new coffee farmer thinks he knows just what to do next year to be sure of producing much more, and feels that he has proved to his doubting neighbors that coffee is not necessarily a tropical crop. (Boston Globe, October 6, 1942).

The Twin State Gas & Electric Company advised customers on coffee-making conservation, under the heading ConserVation, Chief Weapon of the Home Front:

How Best to Use Your Coffee Maker. 1. Be sure to keep it very clean. 2. If you use a cloth filter, rinse it thoroughly with cold water after each using. 3. To clean metal coffee maker, use one tablespoon of baking soda, add water, and proceed as though making coffee (Farmington News, June 5, 1942).

Cloth coffee filters, interesting. The capital “V” in the middle of ConserVation symbolized or signified “Victory.”

Harvey Perkins is here identified as a faculty member at the Nute High School.

ALTON AND ALTON BAY. Mrs. Harvey Perkins has joined her husband in Milton, where he is a faculty member of Nute high school (Farmington News, December 4, 1942).

Mildred A. [((Trask) Perkins)] Emerson, aged fifty-eight years (b. MA), headed an Alton, NH, household at the time of the Sixteenth (1940) Federal Census. Her household included her son, S. Harvey Perkins, a building trade carpenter, aged thirty-five years (b. MA), her son’s wife, Hilda A. [(Berg)] Perkins, aged thirty years (b. MA), her grandson, Lloyd A. Perkins, aged seven years (b. NH), her son’s [Lloyd A. Perkins’] wife, Harriet S. [(Seavey)] Perkins, a grade school teacher, aged twenty-six years (b. MA), and her granddaughter, Patricia Mae Perkins, aged ten years (b. NH). Mildred A. Emerson owned their house on the Main Road [from] Alton Bay to Alton, which was valued at $3,000.

Stephen Harvey Perkins, of Alton, NH, registered for the WW II draft in Alton, February 16, 1942. He was thirty-seven years old (b. Marblehead, MA, June 10, 1904), and was employed by the William Colby. His next of kin was Hilda Perkins. He was 5’6″ tall, weighed 130 pounds, and had  a light brown complexion, brown hair and hazel eyes.

Nute High School headmaster Robert R. Anderson gave a talk on aeronautics at the Kiwanis club in Farmington, NH. (He had been headmaster since at least 1938).

Robert R. Anderson, a public school teacher, aged thirty-one years (b. MA), headed a Milton Mills household at the time of the Sixteenth (1940) Federal Census. His household included his wife, Lalue B. [(Zappa)] Anderson, aged thirty years (b. LA). Robert R. Anderson owned their house on [Milton Mills’] Main Street, which was valued at $1,000.

Robert Rettig Anderson, of Milton Mills, registered for the peacetime draft in Milton, October 10, 1940. He was thirty-two years old (b. Boston, MA, June 11, 1908), and was employed by the Trustees of Nute High School. His next of kin was Lalue B. Anderson. He was 5’8″ tall, weighed 150 pounds, and had  a light complexion, blonde hair and blue eyes.

(Note that at this point, October 1940, the Nute High School was still a private organization, whose officers are responsible to its trustees (rather than a Town board). The headmaster is still the principal “master,” i.e., teacher, rather than solely an administrator).

KIWANIS CLUB SPEAKER THIS WEEK WILL BE ROBERT ANDERSON, MILTON. Headmaster Robert Anderson of Nute high school will be the speaker at the Kiwanis club meeting this Thursday evening. He will talk about “Aeronautics,” a course which is being given in many high school, including Nute. Election of officers will take place at this meeting and it is hoped that all members will be present (Farmington News, December 11, 1942).

By the end of this same month, Robert R. Anderson had been commissioned as a Lieutenant (Junior Grade) in the U.S. Naval Reserve (he had three days service as of January 1, 1943). He was classed as a Deck Officer, who was qualified for specialist duties (Volunteer Reserve (Special Service)). He would eventually become a Lieutenant Commander in the Pacific Theater of Operations.

Robert R. (Lalue B.) Anderson appeared in the Portland (ME) directory of 1949 as an advisor to the Portland VA (Veterans’ Administration), with a house at 3 Longfellow drive (South Portland P.O.). By the time of the Portland directory of 1950, they had removed to Togus, i.e., the Togus Veterans Administration Medical Center at Chelsea, ME.

Previous in sequence: Milton in the News – 1941; next in sequence: Milton in the News – 1943


Find a Grave. (2013, August 4). Stephen H. Perkins. Retrieved from

Wikipedia. (2019, November 11). Togus, Maine. Retrieved from,_Maine


Author: Muriel Bristol

"Lady drinking tea"

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: