Milton in the News – 1888

By Muriel Bristol (Transcriber) | April 7, 2019

In this year, we encounter the sale of a Milton Mills fish market, Rev. C.E. Hurd’s call to the Milton Mills Free-Will Baptist Church, the death of Lewis W. Nute, the Carracabe paper mills running full steam, an unfortunate drowning death, and the first “encouraging” offer of a free mill building.

Milton Mills had two fish markets. After all, it was a lively place. The one offered for sale here had the option also of team of horses, which would presumably be used to pick up the fish and oysters at the Union railroad station.

FISH AND OYSTER MARKET for sale, in a lively town in N.H.; doing good business; will sell with or without team; good reasons for selling; will sell cheap. “F.J.W.,” box 232, Milton Mills, N.H. (Boston Globe, March 9, 1888).

The advertiser used pseudonymous initials, but this was likely E. Trefethen.

E. Trefethen appeared as a Milton Mills fish merchant in the Milton business directories of 1880, 1881, 1882, 1884, and 1887, but not thereafter. The competing fish store, run by John F. “Frank” Archibald, continued.

(See also the Milton Mills Oyster Fritters Recipe of 1895).

Rev. Charles E. Hurd took up the pulpit of the Milton Mills Baptist Church in this year.

He was born in Gilmanton, NH, May 1, 1838, son of Caleb and Judith C. (Allen) Hurd. He married in Gilmanton, NH, February 25, 1859, Anna A. Drake. She was born in Chichester, NH, December 28, 1843, daughter of Josiah W. and Eunice D. (Lake) Drake.

He enlisted in Company D of the 4th NH Regiment, September 13, 1861, and remained with them until mustered out, August 23, 1865.

Religious Intelligence. Rev. C.E. Hurd of North Tunbridge has accepted a call to the Free Baptist church at Milton Mills, N.H. (Burlington Free Press, April 9, 1888).

He would go next to Limerick, ME, in 1890. Anna A. (Drake) Hurd died in Windsor, VT, May 21, 1908. He died in Windsor, VT, January 26, 1911.

Milton’s famous benefactor, Lewis W. Nute, was born in West Milton, NH, February 17, 1820, son of Ezekiel and Dorcas (Worster) Nute.

Lewis Worster Nute was a namesake for his maternal uncle, Lewis Worster, who was born in Milton, NH, April 4, 1815, and died there as an infant, December 18, 1815. Another maternal uncle, Isaac Worster, Jr., was an early and ardent Milton abolitionist. His maternal grandfather, Isaac Worster, was a proprietor of the Milton Social Library.

Nute, Lewis W. - Detail
Lewis W. Nute

It was said of him that he was “… not highly favored as regards educational privileges, being permitted to attend school only about six weeks each winter. He was so studious, however, and made such use of the limited opportunities offered that at the age of nineteen he engaged in teaching, continuing that occupation during two terms” (Hurd, 1882).

He died on what is now the Nute Ridge Road, in West Milton, NH, October 20, 1888, aged sixty-eight years, nine months, and three days.

LEWIS W. NUTE DEAD. Boston’s Big Leather Dealer Expires at His Home. Dover, N.H., Sept. 5. Lewis W. Nute died this morning at the homestead at Milton. When a young man Mr. Nute went to Boston to work for the leather firm of Potter & Co. He worked there several years, when be was taken sick and nearly died. When he recovered he found all his bills paid and he was a silent partner in the firm. He was considered the best judge of leather in Boston. Shortly afterwards the name of the firm was changed to Nute, Potter, White, & Bailey. He stayed with them some years then sold out and went into business for himself with an office in Boston and manufactory in Natick, and five years ago he started the shop in Dover (Boston Globe, September 5, 1888).

TELEGRAPHIC SUMMARY, ETC. The late Lewis Nute, of Milton, N.H., left $25,000 for building a schoolhouse at that place, and $100,000 as a permanent fund for maintaining the school, in addition to numerous other public bequests (Baltimore Sun, November 6, 1888).

John M. Carrecabe was born in France, in October 1838, son of John M. and Rose Carrecabe.

John M. Carracabe, a morocco dresser, aged twenty-seven years, married in Lynn, MA, June 29, 1872, Louisa Potter, aged eighteen years, both of Lynn. She was born in Nova Scotia, in 1854, daughter of Polonius and Ellen M. Potter.

John M. Carracabe, a junk dealer, aged thirty-six years (b. France), headed a Lynn, MA, household at the time of the Tenth (1880) Federal Census. His household included his wife, Annie L. Carracabe, keeping house, aged twenty-five years (b. Nova Scotia), his children, John A. Carracabe, aged five years (b. MA), Mary E. Carracabe, aged three years (b. MA), Arthur M. Carracabe, aged two years, and <blank> Carracabe, aged one month, and his servant, Hannah Cahill, a domestic servant, aged fifteen years (b. Ireland). They resided on High Rock Avenue.

NEW ENGLAND NEWS. The Carricabe paper works in Milton, N.H., are being run day and night (Essex County Herald, November 2, 1888).

The Carricabe paper mill would suspend production for some months in early 1889.

John M. Carracabe, a leather dealer, aged sixty-one years (b. France), headed a Lynn, MA, household at the time of the Twelfth (1900) Federal Census. His household included his wife, Annie L. Carracabe, aged forty-five years (b. Canada (Fr.)), his children, Mary E. Carracabe, aged twenty-three years, Espert W. Carracabe, a clerk, aged twenty years, Sabrina J. Carracabe, at school, aged eighteen years, and Annie L. Carracabe, at school, aged sixteen years, and his brother-in-law, Frederick Potter, a shoe stock fitter, aged nineteen years (b. MA). They resided at 324 Western Avenue.

John M. Carrecabe died in Lynn, MA, in 1918. In 1921, he was “remembered as the pioneer of the leather-board industry” (Nickelson, 1921). Annie L. (Potter) Carrecabe died in 1934.

Robert L. Knight was born in Milton, NH, in 1848, son of Stephen H. and Louisa (Clarey) Knight. He married in Rochester, NH, December 28, 1867, Marilla M. Leighton. She was born in Lebanon, ME, July 18, 1849, daughter of Lewis L. and Lucinda J. (Jones) Leighton.

Robert Knight, works on shoes, aged thirty-two years (b. NH), headed a Milton (“Milton 3-Ponds Village”) household at the time of the Tenth (1880) Federal Census. His household included his wife, Marilla Knight, keeping house, aged thirty-one years (b. ME), and his children, Wilbur C. Knight, at school, aged nine years (b. NH), and Addie F. Knight, at school, aged five years (b. NH). They shared a two-family dwelling with the household of Adelbert Leighton, works on shoes, aged twenty-eight years (b. NH). His household included his wife, Mary P. Leighton, keeping house, aged twenty-eight years (b. MA), and his parents, Lewis L. Leighton, runs pegging machine, aged fifty-four years (b. NH), and Lucinda J. Leighton, keeping house, aged fifty-eight years (b. ME). The census taker enumerated their dwelling between those of Daniel Jenness, a farmer, aged seventy-four years (b. NH), and Stephen Twombly, works on shoes, aged forty years (b. NH).

NEW ENGLAND NEWS. Robert L. Knight of Milton, N.H.. a shoemaker, left his home recently to visit Great Falls. His body was found in the river about 200 feet north of the bridge. There were no marks of violence on the body, and nothing in its appearance to indicate foul play. It is quite evident that he accidentally fell into the river and was drowned (Londonderry Sifter (South Londonderry, VT), November 22, 1888).

Marilla M. (Leighton) Knight married (2nd) in Dover, NH, September 28, 1898, Jeremiah Mahoney, she of Milton and he of Dover. They were living in Salem, MA, in 1900.

The Kimball Brothers company had factories in Lynn and Haverhill, MA, as well as Gardiner, ME. (They were one of the Lynn factories against whom the Lynn Knights of Labor initiated a shoe strike in 1885).

NEW ENGLAND NEWS. Kimball Bros., among the oldest and best known of Haverhill, Mass., shoe manufacturers, contemplate moving a portion of their business, at least, to Milton, N.H., and have under consideration the offer of a three-story factory building there. If they make the change it will effect a great saving in the amount of wages, rent, taxes, power, etc., and would probably ultimate in the removal of their entire business from Haverhill (Londonderry Sifter (South Londonderry, VT), November 22, 1888).

The Kimball Brothers firm did not end up moving their entire business to Milton, nor even a portion of it. It would be the Varney & Lane company that moved a portion of their business to Milton Mills in the following year. (They were offered the additional inducement of ten years without taxation). (See also the Milton Mills Shoe Strike of 1889).

Previous in sequence: Milton in the News – 1887; next in sequence: Milton in the News – 1889


Find a Grave. (2006, March 8). John M. Carrecabe. Retrieved from

Find a Grave. (2010, May 3). Rev. Charles Edwin Hurd. Retrieved from

Find a Grave. (2011, February 28). Robert L. Knight. Retrieved from

Hurd, D. Hamilton. (1882). History of Strafford County, New Hampshire. J.W. Lewis & Co.: Philadelphia, PA

Luce & Bridge. Twenty Thousand Rich New Englanders: A List of Taxpayers who Were Assessed in 1888 to Pay a Tax of One Hundred Dollars or More. Retrieved from

Nickelson & Collins. (1921). Leather & Shoes. Retrieved from


Author: Muriel Bristol

"Lady drinking tea"

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: